Purchasing volume increased
The purchasing volume corresponds to the contractual obligations that DB Group has entered into with suppliers. If realized later, these become capital expenditures or expenses (mostly cost of materials and other operating expenses). The total purchasing volume for the first half of 2019 was € 18.1 billion (first half of 2018: € 16.7 billion).
- Freight and forwarding services rose slightly to € 5.4 billion (first half of 2018: € 5.2 billion).
- Industrial products also rose slightly to € 4.2 billion (first half of 2018: € 4.0 billion). The reason for this was the procurement of multiple units for the S-Bahn (metro) Stuttgart and trains for the Eurocity fleet for DB Long-Distance.
- Construction and engineering services increased, especially for price reasons, to € 3.9 billion (first half of 2018: € 3.2 billion).
- Third-party services grew significantly to € 3.2 billion (first half of 2018: € 2.8 billion). The need for IT services increased as a result of the digitalization initiative, among other things.
- Cable- and pipe-bound power and fuels fell slightly to € 1.4 billion (first half of 2018: € 1.5 billion).