DB Group (rail) in Germany
DB rail passenger transport in Germany
DB Cargo (Germany)
DB Arriva (rail: United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden,
DB Regional (bus) 1)
DB Cargo (Europe)
To measure punctuality, we compare the target arrival time to the actual time for every train/bus run. We summarize the arrival of trains on schedule or up to a defined maximum delay using a degree of punctuality.
1) Value first half of 2020 adjusted as a result of a change in method in 2020.
Punctuality in rail transport in Germany decreased. The reasons for this development were:
- The increased network utilization caused by the ramping up of services, which had a negative effect on high-traffic lines and when services were disrupted in particular.
- The high level of construction activity, which led to limited capacities despite effective construction site management.
- Exceptional external events, especially the extreme winter weather conditions in February 2021. While the onset of winter in January 2021 had little impact on punctuality due to stable infrastructure availability and a high degree of coverage in the contingency plans, storm Tristan caused dangerous winter conditions at the beginning of February 2021. Despite deploying personnel and technology extensively, some rail operations had to be stopped as a precautionary measure. As a result, deployment and circulation processes were disrupted, leading to limited performance capability, particularly in freight and transport. The first heat wave in June 2021 also had a negative impact on vehicles and infrastructure, which also reduced punctuality.
- In mid-March 2021, there was a landslide on one of the busiest freight transport lines in Europe near Kestert in the Middle Rhine Valley. Although work began immediately to clear the area, the landslide still caused the line to close for more than 40 days on the right bank of the Rhine. Due to the widespread diversions that were necessary and the increased burden that this placed on the infrastructure on the left bank of the Rhine, journeys for all TOCs took longer. This had a major impact on operational performance in freight transport.
Measures in rail freight transport
Growth in rail freight transport is one of the key factors in successfully shifting the mode of transport towards rail. In the first half of 2021, measures for the short and medium term were developed, and work began to implement them.
Strong for the summer
Intensive and comprehensive work was underway in the first half of 2021 within the Integrated Rail System to prepare for the summer period and the expected level of travel after travel restrictions were lifted.
Further development Strong S-Bahn (metro)
As the S-Bahn (metro) will have to deal with significant growth over the next few years, the necessary measures need to be developed and put in place to ensure the S-Bahn (metro) system continues to run efficiently.
Analysis winter onset effects
The extreme onset of winter at the beginning of 2021 had a strong impact on rail transport. We have analyzed how we performed under these conditions as part of a continuous improvement process.
Increasing vehicle availability
Several central initiatives aimed at increasing vehicle availability launched in the previous year were continued ...