Events in the first half of 2018
Vehicle measures implemented
Measures to improve our vehicle fleet included: interior redesign, installation of passenger information and video recording systems and new paint.
- The modernization of 91 electric multiple units of the 425 series was completed for the tender of the Rhine-Neckar S-Bahn (metro) and the RB 44.
- Since 2016, 32 out of a total of 111 vehicles of the 474 series have been refurbished for S-Bahn (metro) Hamburg.
- A total of 36 vehicles of the 420 series and 238 vehicles of the 423 series are to be refurbished for the S-Bahn (metro) Munich transition contract. There are currently six vehicles in trial operation.
- 7 out of 48 ET of the 422 series to be modernized were rebuilt to provide the vehicles for S-Bahn (metro) Rhine-Ruhr.
New vehicle purchases
For the Ulm diesel network 12of the 622 series 54 and eight of the 623 series 41 have been procured from the vehicle manufacturer Alstom. These will be resold to a leasing company following acceptance and will be leased there for the duration of the transport contract in December 2020 when the transport contract begins.
Delays in vehicle deliveries
Vehicle availability increased further during the first half of 2018. However, there were still delays and restrictions relating to the delivery of new trains:
- Bombardier’s delayed delivery of the 2010 double-deck cars, which began in December 2015, continued with the addition of a further 58 vehicles for the transport networks Ringzug-West and Main-Spessart in Bavaria, North-South in Berlin-Brandenburg, Main-Neckar-Ried in Hessen and the Mitte network in Schleswig-Holstein.
- In December 2016, we rented a total of 15 locomotives and three diesel railcars from Paribus for use in the Schleswig-Holstein network west transport contract. Of the total of 90 defective passenger cars, 88 vehicles were acquired successively. Existing vehicles will continue to be deployed until the defects are remedied. The rental contract will be drawn up with Paribus upon completion of the maintenance work in the second half of 2018.
- Of the eight pre-series vehicles of the 490 series for S-Bahn (metro) Hamburg, four were delivered, while those remaining will follow in the coming months and will be used in trial operation. S-Bahn (metro) Hamburg also aims to transfer a further 42 of the total of 60 vehicles by the end of 2018.
- We expect delivery of Link diesel multiple units from PESA (632/633 series) for the Sauerland network and Dreieich Railway to be delayed by more than two years and for the Allgäu diesel network by one year on average. Comprehensive replacement concepts with existing vehicles will continue to be used for the first two networks. The delivery of the 20 vehicles of the 632 series is scheduled for October 2018 at the latest.
- The delivery of the ordered vehicles from Škoda for the Nuremberg – Ingolstadt – Munich Express have been delayed until September/October 2018.
- Passengers can now book tickets for 21 different transport associations using DB Navigator. With this offer, we have reached over 50 million people – about 80% of the potential passengers on all transport networks in Germany.